The Fast Track

Life as a busy college senior

College stress = worth it

December6

As the stress levels reach mountainous highs for college students these weeks I thought I would write a small post about the perks of being in college. I sometimes get wrapped up in all the work and stress of college, as do many other students, that I start to take college for granted. When I step back and look at my college life, I realize I have a lot to be thankful for and that being a college student is great.

This morning I turned on the TV and saw that several high schools had two hour delays. I then remembered that I have two hour delays every day, it’s called college. My first class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays is at 10 a.m. My first class on Tuesdays and Thursdays is at 9:30 a.m. My freshman year of college, I didn’t have class until 11 a.m. What a life. In high school I had to wake up super early. Once I’m an adult, I will have to be at work earlier than that as well.

Yes college is harder, but we spend less time in class. The average high school student spends about 35 hours a week at school. Depending on your credit hours, the average college student spends between 12-18 hours in class. And when I’m not in class, I don’t have to eat in a cafeteria, I can go home to eat if I want. I have so much more freedom.

My next perk is about breaks and finals. During finals week, college students don’t have any classes, only finals. In high school I spent countless hours in a class during finals week for no reason. This semester, all of my finals are optional or we are taking them before finals week. Usually, we have three weeks for winter break, which is one week longer than high school students. However, I have a month break because I have no finals during finals week. I just have to get through this week of stress and I’m done. We also start later in the year than most high schools and get out for summer break a month before high school students.

High school students have many more snow days than we do. Delaware County basically has to shut down for Ball State to cancel classes. However, if classes are canceled, we don’t have to make it up. We will never have an extra month of school because we had a bagillion snow days.

Sure being a college student has it downsides. It can be very stressful. However, when I stop and think about it, being a college student is amazing. I have it made. And with that note, I will be savoring my winter break and my last semester of college.

by posted under Uncategorized | 1 Comment »    
One Comment to

“College stress = worth it”

1. January 31st, 2011 at 4:52 am       Frank Says:

College makes a lot of stress to me, too. But, as you say, it worth.